Sunday, September 28, 2008

LOGAN'S FIRST DANCE


Last Friday, my very cool child(the tween stage of knowing everything), comes into the house and automatically sits down in his dad's recliner, puts on his head set and gets online to see if Mr. Mike or Mr. Kurt is there to talk to. Personally, I don't see what he sees in either one of them :). Anyways, its approximately 5:30 p.m at this point and I am busily cooking in the kitchen while Todd is outside grilling. We are waiting for Petree and Murtha's to arrive. As I am cooking, I proceed to ask Logan how his day was at school and if there is anything new going on. He casually mentions that there is a school dance tonight (it starts at 7pm). So I say to him "hw come you aren't going?" he answers with the tipical kid response of "I don't know", which makes me want to beat him everytime. So then I ask him "Well do you want to go?" by now its about 6:15pm. Again he says, 'I don't know."At this point I begin to tell him that if there is something going on at school that he wants to go to, or friends he wants to play with, even though he is at his dad's house doesn't mean he cannot go. So I ask him again.."Logan, would you like to go to the school dance?" his reply was "yes". So I see him go outside and a few minutes later his dad walks in and asks if I knew that Logan had a school dance tonite (Todd's alittle slow). I said yes and I was going to take him because I ddidn't want him to miss his first dance in middle school. Now, Logan's school is in newport news(need I say more). I was on the road the rest of the night.
On the way to the dance, I was telling Logan that if e needed me to come in and bust a move for him and his friends, that I would have no problem doing so. Apparently that didnt phase him one bit. As the line moved closer for drop off he just hopped out and said this is fine (apparently he WAS scared I would go in with him). So I picked him up later and asked how it went, he said without pause, fine, we just hung out walked around, checking everyone out. Very good I said, are you glad you went? yep, he replied. Me too, I said. So even though it took alot out of me, I enjoyed that Logan could be a part of that milestone in his life. We don't get to be with him everyday, so we take advantage of even the little things. He's growing up , and before we know it he will be off to college

1 comment:

Liz and Kurt said...

Yeah!!! A new blog!!! I remember my first middle school dance - IT SUCKED!!! I wore a jean skirt and a sweater (I had to unwrap the skirt from a pile of Christmas presents my mom had for me because I didn't own any) and I just about roasted. I didn't dance at all because middle school boys don't dance and the ones that do know what they are doing (and it was more like grinding). It wasn't fun, but I'm glad Logan went and had fun. Now where are the pictures??? How is Willie-wang???? I bet he's grown a ton. Kurt and Petree did the xbox thing for hours last night, you just need to let logan stay up until 3am and then they can all play together. What are your Xmas/New Years plans? I'm going to buy plane tickets here soon, but I don't want to buy them for when you'll be gone.