Saturday, August 30, 2008

Something tragic happened in my family this week. I lost a cousin. As all Greek families do, they named there kids like all the rest of the cousins. So my cousin Georgia lost her life on Sunday. She was 36. I cannot explain to you the overwhelming sorrow that I feel for thier family and our extended family. Georgia will leave an enormous hole in all our lives. Although I have 50 first cousins, she was the first to go. I can explain her life best by quoting from the priest at her service "Georgia was what Christ wanted all of us to be." I don't bring up religion very often, but I cannot explain it any other way. She exemplified what a life should be. She lived her life like it was her last day. She glowed when she greeted you (everytime). She had a 'money is no object' attitude and always remembered to take care of her nieces and nephews.
So how does God take someone so wonderful and bright and real? I will ask myself that everyday. Her death has made death more real. Although people her age and younger die everyday, it hasn't hit home for me until now. I have walked away from her tragic death with a new perspective on life. I have to remember that if I want to take a random trip ,anywhere, not to be lazy about it. I have to remember to have fun, alot, and deal with everything else later. And I have to remember to love everyone like it will be the last time I see them. Georgia left her mark on many, many people. Mostly because she always walked into a room with a smile and always left the room and the people in it alittle happier. Thats amazing to me- yet effortless for her.
So remember people= life is short, enjoy everything and everyone like it will be the last.

2 comments:

Liz and Kurt said...

In memory of Georgia - SMILE!!!
:D

We miss you guys, if you take that random trip, make sure it's somewhere out here.

Liz and Kurt said...

5 lbs - so there!! Now I need to step it up a notch and actually start jogging *sigh*